Months after booking host stated the rate is thousands higher and we have to pay or cancel

Title: Dealing with a Host-Imposed Price Increase After Booking Confirmation A recent booking for next year was confirmed and partially paid, but the host has now informed us that the…

Title: Dealing with a Host-Imposed Price Increase After Booking Confirmation

A recent booking for next year was confirmed and partially paid, but the host has now informed us that the weekend rate has increased by thousands of dollars. The host gave us two options: either pay the higher price or cancel the reservation.

We contacted Airbnb and shared screenshots of the conversation. Airbnb’s policy indicated that the host cannot unilaterally raise the price after a booking is confirmed. We then notified the host of this policy, but the host reiterated the same demand.

This puts us in an awkward position. We’re uncomfortable staying at the property under these terms and suspect the host may be pressuring us to cancel so they can release the weekend for another, higher-paying guest. We have a two-week window before the cancellation deadline, but we’re hesitant to cancel due to feeling unsettled by the request.

For context, I previously hosted on Airbnb about eight years ago. If a guest is canceled, I recall that the platform prevented the same weekend from being immediately re-listed to another guest. Is that still the case today?

If you were in this situation as a guest, what would you do? Here are a few considerations:
– Confirm the platform’s official cancellation and price-change policies for confirmed bookings.
– Document all communications with the host and screenshot important messages.
– Evaluate your options: request a fixed price with a clear renewal policy, explore cancelation terms, or seek a mediation/conciliatory path through the platform.
– Consider safety and comfort factors when deciding whether to proceed with the stay.

Possible next steps:
– Request a formal explanation from the host regarding the price change and provide a copy of Airbnb’s policy as reference.
– Ask the platform for a binding resolution or exception if the host insists on changing the rate post-booking.
– If you decide not to stay, review the cancellation window, potential refunds, and any non-refundable components to understand the financial impact.
– Consider alternative accommodations as a backup plan to avoid further stress.

What would you do in this scenario to protect your booking and ensure fair treatment by the host and platform?

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *